National Employment Standards
The National Employment Standards (NES) provide a “safety net” of employment conditions for most Australian employees.
The NES are set out in Part 2-2 of the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) and comprise 10 minimum employment entitlements covering all employees working in Australia who come under the national workplace relations system. The NES, together with modern awards, make up the safety net of minimum terms and conditions of employment for all employees in the national system.
The 10 minimum entitlements of the NES are:
- Maximum weekly hours
- Requests for flexible working arrangements
- Parental leave and related entitlements
- Annual leave
- Personal/carer's leave, compassionate leave and unpaid family and domestic violence leave
- Community service leave
- Long service leave
- Public holidays
- Notice of termination and redundancy pay
- Fair Work Information Statement
More information on the NES is here.
NatRoad members can get help and information about employment issues from the NatRoad website or by calling 1800 272 144 or 02 6295 3000.